It’s National Sandwich Day! Why not make a Soupwich? It’s a combo of a grilled cheese and tomato soup from my book SNACKS: Adventures in Food, Aisle by Aisle.
Mmmm mmmm good!
Serves 4 as a Soupwich or 12 as an hors d’oeurve.
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup Campbell’s Tomato Soup, condensed (i.e. straight from the can)
- 1 tablespoon onion or shallot, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices bread, I prefer English Muffin bread, French or sourdough
- Olive oil
- Mix butter, soup and onion.
- Spread one tablespoon of tomato soup butter on each slice of bread.
- Put ½ cup cheddar cheese on four of the slices and close.
- Press on Soupwich to seal it.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly paint the outside of the Soupwich on both sides with olive oil. Alternately you can use soft or melted butter.
- Heat a heavy or non-stick skillet on medium high. When it is hot, add Soupwich.
- Squish and flip a few times until browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- If you are serving the Soupwiches as an hors d’oeurve, remove the crusts and cut on the diagonal.
- Go ahead and make the rest of the soup. Be sure to fill the can ¾ full, not all the way to the top.